April is a funny month in Edinburgh. There are days when the sun is splitting the stones, when the more foolhardy among us operate a ‘sun’s out, guns out’ policy and barbecue in vests and board shorts on the Meadows, in spite of a bone-chilling wind. There are other, more frequent, days when you have to drag out the woolly jumpers you had prematurely consigned to the winter, because it’s still raining as though it’s December. And so, we fast forward to idyllic summer in our minds. We dream of trips to places where ‘dressing for the weather’ means flip-flops – not light (and not-so-light) layers, waterproof shoes just in case, and a hat in case it’s too windy to keep an umbrella up.
Principal’s Go Abroad Fund for international trips
April is therefore the perfect month to announce a new Principal’s Go Abroad Fund for University of Edinburgh students to Go Abroad this summer. The University has set aside a pot of money to fund educational short-term trips abroad, be that for attendance at an international conference, or a cultural exchange with a peer in an international University with the same research interests – we are open to all ideas!
You could receive either £350 or £700 (depending on your means – something the Widening Participation office is helping with).
What’s the catch?
- You must be a fully matriculated student at the University of Edinburgh.
- Your international experience must have an educational component to it – so tourism doesn’t count!
- The fund can’t go towards any other Study Abroad scheme for which you are already receiving funding.
- You have to ‘Go Abroad’ by 1st September 2014 – so you really need to get your skates, and thinking (sun) hats on!
- Students who are successful in their applications will be required to complete some reflective pieces while they are abroad/ right after they come back.
- Pre-departure support and sessions will be available, as well as a Welcome Home event in semester 1 next year.
So if you would like the chance to experience a different culture, to open yourself up to new ideas, and broaden your horizons (…and be somewhere exotic and sunny, potentially) then you should apply!
Closing date: 5pm, 1 May 2014.
More details about how to apply and eligibility are available here: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/international-office/go-abroad/go-abroad-fund
Any questions, email Alison Treacy